CACF Fund Types
CACF offers donors tangible ways to make a difference in the Charlottesville-area community through a variety of funds administered as permanent endowments. Gifts are invested for long-term growth, with the income and a portion of the appreciation used to make grants. Grants are awarded to local individuals and groups based on specific criteria determined by the donors. This allows donors to feel a keen sense of connection with those who benefit from their donations.
Types of Charitable Funds
Unrestricted Funds – meeting a variety of changing community needs
An unrestricted gift to CACF will allow your client to help the foundation meet a broad range of community needs—including those that cannot be anticipated at the time of the gift. Through the Foundation’s Community Endowment, the board and staff respond to the most pressing local needs as they change over time.
Donor Advised Funds – giving from a personal perspective
You can have an ongoing involvement in the use of their gift by recommending gifts to address issues and needs in the community that he or she cares about most. Your client’s recommendations are submitted to our board for approval and then our staff distributes the grants.
Scholarship Funds – assisting deserving students
You can set up a scholarship fund to support students in their pursuit of a higher education. Your client determines the criteria that students must meet in order to receive the scholarship and CACF staff will handle the administrative details.
Field of Interest Funds – impacting a specific area of need
You can target your gift to have an impact on a particular area of community life—arts, education, animals, aging, environment, etc. Once you have identified an area of interest, our board will award grants to community organizations working in that field.
Designated Funds – helping to sustain local organizations
You client can designate a specific nonprofit organization(s) that will receive regular gifts from a designated fund at CACF.
- Gifts made to the Vision Fund support CACF’s administrative budget, allowing more of our unrestricted dollars to be made available for grantmaking to local nonprofits. Read More
- Donors select a general interest – such as the environment, youth, or the arts – and CACF finds organizations that fit that criteria. Read More
- Donor contributions to this type of fund provide scholarship assistance to individuals, including students of specific area high schools, or with certain qualifications or interests. Read More
- Unrestricted gifts are placed in this fund, allowing CACF’s board and staff the flexibility to address pressing community needs. Read More
- This type of fund allows a donor to contribute to charities in our community and throughout the United States. A donor-advised fund is an excellent alternative to a private foundation, with comparable or superior tax benefits. Read More
- Several individuals donate money to CACF to create this type of fund. Once the fund is established, the group may make recommendations about disbursing funds to local nonprofit organizations. Read More
- Charitable organizations serving the Charlottesville area may create endowment funds within CACF as a means of protecting and building their funds Read More