The Charlottesville Area Community Foundation (CACF) is a permanent endowment dedicated to improving the quality of life for the people of the city of Charlottesville and the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Nelson and Orange.
We seek to accomplish this goal by:
- Actively and effectively encouraging local philanthropy, resulting in the establishment and maintenance of perpetual and increasing endowment funds for the benefit of our community.
- Serving donors by providing a vehicle to facilitate in perpetuity their charitable intents.
- Exercising leadership in the philanthropic community through the ongoing and effective assessment of changing community needs and facilitating the exchange of information regarding those needs and the role of CACF.
- Prudently managing our own endowment funds and those of other nonprofit organizations and creatively making grants from this income, which will effectively meet the changing needs of our community.
What Does CACF Do?
- Awards more than $7 million dollars annually in grants to nonprofit organizations serving the Charlottesville area of Central Virginia. For a list of our 2011 grants and gift recipients, please go here.
- Assists Charlottesville area donors with information on community needs and by providing an efficient and effective mechanism to award grants, together with an online guide of non-profits
- Provides support through scholarship funds to local students for their education goals
- Engages the next generation in philanthropy through the Youth Service Award program and the Charlottesville Future Fund
- Convenes the local philanthropic community through regular Donors Roundtable meetings to help cultivate informative and collaborative grantmaking among local foundations
- Assists community nonprofit organizations by providing an investment mechanism to build a permanent endowment
- Supports donor’s planned giving options providing benefits to the community along with financial and tax benefits to the donor(s).
Since CACF is a 501(c)(3) public charity, donations qualify for the maximum allowable deduction for income, gift and estate tax purposes.